Peace Mail/ June 27-July 3 2017
Weekly Update on the implementation of the Peace Agreement. The final peace accord contains a three-pronged approach to ensuring fulfillment of commitments included in the text: the Commission for Monitoring, Promotion, and Verification of the Implementation of the Peace Accord (CSIVI), the National Reincorporation Council (CNR) and the GOC-FARC-UN tripartite Monitoring and Verification Mechanism (MM&V). This callout box includes a weekly update on releases and work related to these supports for implementing the peace accords in Colombia.
- The FARC officially ended its existence as an illegal armed group with the completion of the disarmament process
- Next steps after the completion of the disarmament phase with the FARC include the destruction and removal of the remaining weapons caches throughout the country
- 40 members of the FARC began training in Bogotá for the socioeconomic reintegration initiative ECOMUN, delineated in the final accord
- U.N. Security Council member countries back request for second Colombia mission
- Second round of GoC-ELN negotiations ends